This is the big time of the year to purchase laptops. The Back To School sales start at the end of
June as graduates will use their “graduation money” to get new laptops for college.
I’d like to share some thoughts with you on features to look for and features to avoid.
- Intel i3/i5/i7 processors. (The best all-around is the i5. The i7 is nice if you need the extra power.)
- Minimum of 8G of memory. The more the better.
- 500GB Hard Disk Drive or 1TB. (Solid State Drives are great but are expensive. For the price of a 1 TB HDD you’d only be able to get a 256 GB SSD.)
- Lenovo, HP, Dell, ASUS, MSI are all good brands in my opinion.
- AMD Processors in Laptops. (From my experience, they’re great for speed and price but they die off fast.)
- Intel Celeron or Pentium Processors (These have only enough power for surfing the web.)
- Fancy colored laptops since color adds cost but not functionality.
- Unknown brands.
When you’re looking for a new laptop it’s nice to be able to try it out, and get an idea of the quality of the laptop. Make sure you are comfortable typing on it. Are you happy with the look and size of the screen? I personally like to use 14” to 16” laptops. You might visit a box store that has many different brands on display, just to browse the inventory as you are making your decision.
Laptops to be used for BUSINESS have different concerns. You might call us for recommendations before jumping in. One point is that you’ll likely need to purchase the “pro” version of the operating system which will increase the price. We can also source or recommend some business model brands that will be more rugged.
Lastly, I’d like to share with you what you might expect once you purchase your new laptop and turn it on for the first time.
You’ll be greeted by “a ton of” programs you don’t need, we call this “bloatware”, and many programs or icons or answers to pop-questions you are not sure about, not to mention the seemingly endless updates that will be pushed down by Microsoft to the operating system. The easiest way to deal with this, might be… “Not” to deal with it! Bring the laptop top us. We can remove the bloatware and get the system tuned up and running for you. We’ll also make sure all the drivers are up to date and the virus protection is up to date. We can also transfer data from your old PC to the new one. The worst thing is getting a new laptop then having to spend a day updating it and making sure it is running correctly and smoothly.
Stop by or Call us – We are able to help!